ADSM-L

TDP for Oracle backup failure if media damaged.

2001-10-10 03:29:27
Subject: TDP for Oracle backup failure if media damaged.
From: Eric Winters <ewinters AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 17:25:05 +1000
Dear All,

Can anyone contribute to the following?

I notice that if a TDP for Oracle rman backup encounters a media error
during a backup then the backup fails there and then. It does not just
select another tape and continue.

However when doing a dsmc archive or dsmc backup or that matter a TDP for
R/3 backup I find that the operation is resilient to media errors - I can
simulate an error by updating a volume to read-only in the middle of a
backup and I observer that another tape is mounted. The backup does not
fail.

Are there any steps I can take so that my TDP for Oracle backups are
equally resistent to media problems?

Thanks for your input,

Eric Winters