ADSM-L

Re: Archiving without deleting???

2001-10-09 06:55:06
Subject: Re: Archiving without deleting???
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:53:10 +0300
Archive is archive. There is no "incremental" archive. The difference with
backup is that each archive is on its own.
You can use backup for files until they need to be kept as Alex proposed
but you may need to adjust retonly to less than 60 days (for their
mgmtclass).
If you prefer to use only archive create separate mgmtclasses - for the
first days (when you keep the files) with low retension and for real
archiving with delete and normal retension. At least one of them will have
to be made with -archmc option.
This has the drawback that if you perform seven archives before archive
with deletion you will get seven copies.
When the eight (with delete) is made when the first can expire (or little
bit later) and quickly others will expire too. During that time you will
have a backup to copypool and at least two copies will be there.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Jack McKinney <jackmc-adsm AT LORENTZ DOT COM> on 08.10.2001 21:38:22