ADSM-L

Re: Listserver question

2001-10-03 10:40:05
Subject: Re: Listserver question
From: "Matthew A. Bacchi" <mbacchi AT BTV.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:37:23 -0400
Andy,
Interesting indeed.  I have done a little experimenting since your post.  If I
just search on "Matthew and Bacchi" I get many posts, with duplicates.  Here
is one particular selection, a single post that shows up twice.  Notice how
it has two different confidence levels for the same posting, wierd.

76% Re: Expire Logs "C" Program for Tivoli 4.2 and Informix (mbacchi AT BTV.IBM
DOT COM) - Thu, 26 Jul 2001 20:08:43 GMT
60% Re: Expire Logs "C" Program for Tivoli 4.2 and Informix (mbacchi AT BTV.IBM
DOT COM) - Thu, 26 Jul 2001 20:08:43 GMT

But if I search for "Matthew AND Bacchi" I get fewer responses, and none are
duplicates.  It appears to me that over the years I have been using this
search without the keyword "AND" in caps.  For whatever reason, the search
engine interprets this differently than I expected.  Does this appear to be
normal behavior to you?  The strange part is though, why would the lower case
word "and" cause the engine to spit out the same post twice?

If the maintainer does follow this discussion, maybe they would like to
comment.

-Matt
/**
/**
 **    Matt Bacchi                   mbacchi AT us.ibm DOT com
 **    IBM Global Services                SDC Northeast
 **    F6TG; MD Filesystems/Internet     (802) 769-4072
 **    ADSM & AFS/DFS Backup             (tie) 446-4072
 **/