ADSM-L

Warning: Netware 5.1 with Service Pack 3 backup failures

2001-10-03 10:25:19
Subject: Warning: Netware 5.1 with Service Pack 3 backup failures
From: "Frost, Dave" <dave.frost AT TELEVAULTIT DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 15:21:32 +0100
hi all,

We have had several of the Netware 5.1 nodes that we back up upgraded to
service pack 3.

Since then, most of the nodes have given considerable trouble, especially
those using a scheduled backup.  Even worse, those nodes doing a client
initiated backup - either manual or via portal - have exhibited backup
failures on many files which should have backed up.  The logs report "file
not found" or "dataset not found", even though the file was indeed present
all the time.

Since the "file not found" failure is legitimate, you will not necessarily
have spotted what is happening, unless you monitor the failure rate within
apparantly successful backups.

The documentation for the Netware client v4.2.1, ptf ip22371, which was
released on Friday 28th September mentions that there is a problem with the
clib incorporated into Service Pack 3:

>    Novell NetWare Incident (Novell Internal):
>
>         Operating System(s) affected:
>
>              NetWare 5.1 with SP3

>              With SP3 for NetWare 5.1, Novell has made changes to CLIB
>              dated 6/6/2001.
>
>              This version of CLIB can cause the following errors:
>                 (TSA500.NLM 5.4.269) No data sets can be found.
>
>              This error is also known as SMS error FFFDFFF2 or
>              File not found.  TSM will translate the error to:
>                  ANS1228E Sending of Object 'FileName' failed
>
>              This error occurs when one thread logs out of the TSA,
>              it can result in other connections to the TSA of the
>              same thread group being logged out.
>
>         Circumvention:
>
>              Work around is to regress the CLIB.NLM to previous version.
>              Please contact Novell for additional information and latest
fix.

  regards,

-=Dave=-
+44 (0)20 7608 7140
+44 (0)20 7608 7140

Any time things appear to be going better, you have overlooked something.

www.guardianit.com

The information contained in this email is confidential and intended
only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited.  Guardian iT Group will accept no responsibility
or liability in respect to this email other than to the addressee.  If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately via email: postmaster AT guardianit DOT com

This message has been checked for all known viruses by MessageLabs Virus
Control Centre.