ADSM-L

Re: Can't get EXCLUDE Right!

2001-10-01 12:24:50
Subject: Re: Can't get EXCLUDE Right!
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 09:21:34 -0700
Excluding a previously included file will cause the current active version
to be made inactive (during your next incremental backup), and from there,
any existing backup versions expire per management class criteria.

The EXCLUDE statements you have coded:

        exclude *:\Op2IR\*
        exclude *:\Op2IR\...\*
        exclude *:\Op2IR\...\*.*

are redundant, and can be boiled down to one:

        exclude *:\Op2IR\...\*

The \...\ part covers the files immediately below Op2IR, as well as its
subdirectories. the * part covers all file names, including those with
dots (.) in them.

However, EXCLUDE by itself applies only to files, and not directories,
which is why you still see the subdirectory structure get backed up. If
you don't want the directory traversed or backed up at all, then code
this:

        exclude.dir *:\Op2IR

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Tivoli Systems

The command line is your friend.

Karen Mikacenic <karen.mikacenic AT UNIGARD DOT COM>
10/01/2001 08:36