ADSM-L

ADIC libraries...

2001-09-28 05:35:37
Subject: ADIC libraries...
From: Bruce Mitchell <bruce.mitchell AT DB DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:29:29 +0000
Richard,

I saw your request at ADSM-L , and hope to shed some light...

Date:    Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:04:54 +0100
From:    Richard Bates <Richard_Bates AT UK.IBM DOT COM>
Subject: adic scalar 1000 and 3590s

I have just returned confused from a customer site.  Apologies if some of
the terminology used is incorrect but the customer wasn't quite sure how it
all hangs together either.

They have an ADIC Scalar 1000 library containing 2 x 3590e drives.  A HP-UX
TSM server is configured to use the library.

On the HP-UX server they have a piece of ADIC software called DAS.  This
talks to the ADIC ROBOT.  Which runs an AMU PC and the VIROP software.

The device class and library definitions are as follows:

def devc 3590DEVCLASS devt=3590 format=3590e-c library=ADICLIB mountl=2

def libr ADICLIB libtype=external externalmanager=/usr/local/bin/virop

There are no drive definitions as "externalmanager" does not support them.

When I run a q libv they have no volumes checked in.  They seem to be
defining volumes explicitly to storage pools rather than letting them come
in from scratch.

The problem is they can only label 2 tapes (via dsmlabel) and are getting
I/O errors on everything else.

Could anyone tell me if the manner in which they have configured there ADIC
library is correct?  I'm used to IBM 3575/3494 etc and this is strange to
me.

Thanks in advance
Richard

We have several ADIC libraries using DAS and VIROP, utiliszing AIT/2 drives.

The config files exist in /usr/local/aci (should be VirOp_*)
These map the logical AMU view onto the physical (HP??) view of
devices/libraries/devtypes etc..
Someone must have configured these initially , or is that your task???

You cannot manipulate the drives/inventory through TSM ,it must be done through
DAS.
I can send you config files, or perhaps arrange some interchange of info if
necessary  to get them started.
I/O errors could be due to bad drive mappings/connectivity etc...

ADIC should have given some DAS/AMU/VIROP training/insight to someone onsite???

Tel:       +44(0) 207 547 4917
Fax        +44(0) 207 650 7917
Mobile    +44(0) 7768 361-885
email:    bruce.mitchell AT db DOT com

notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.