ADSM-L

adic scalar 1000 and 3590s

2001-09-27 13:20:42
Subject: adic scalar 1000 and 3590s
From: Richard Bates <Richard_Bates AT UK.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:04:54 +0100
I have just returned confused from a customer site.  Apologies if some of
the terminology used is incorrect but the customer wasn't quite sure how it
all hangs together either.

They have an ADIC Scalar 1000 library containing 2 x 3590e drives.  A HP-UX
TSM server is configured to use the library.

On the HP-UX server they have a piece of ADIC software called DAS.  This
talks to the ADIC ROBOT.  Which runs an AMU PC and the VIROP software.

The device class and library definitions are as follows:

def devc 3590DEVCLASS devt=3590 format=3590e-c library=ADICLIB mountl=2

def libr ADICLIB libtype=external externalmanager=/usr/local/bin/virop

There are no drive definitions as "externalmanager" does not support them.

When I run a q libv they have no volumes checked in.  They seem to be
defining volumes explicitly to storage pools rather than letting them come
in from scratch.

The problem is they can only label 2 tapes (via dsmlabel) and are getting
I/O errors on everything else.

Could anyone tell me if the manner in which they have configured there ADIC
library is correct?  I'm used to IBM 3575/3494 etc and this is strange to
me.

Thanks in advance
Richard