ADSM-L

3494 Library Sharing

2001-09-26 05:46:00
Subject: 3494 Library Sharing
From: "Norback, Jan" <Jan.Norback AT ATOSORIGIN DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:26:27 +0200
I would like to implement library sharing for 4 x TSM 4.1.4.1 servers (AIX)
accessing 2 3494 libraries. The problem I have is that it looks like my
in-between state (slowly moving from SCSI to SAN) might not work. Please
advice.

Current setup:
2 servers S1 and S2 accessing L1 in site A
2 servers S3 and S4 accessing L2 in site B

-S1 has got 2 x 3590(-E1A) SCSI and 2 x 3590 SAN attached tape drives in L1,
the AIX system can see 2 SAN drives from L2 too
the AIX system can see 2 SAN drives from L2 too
-S2 has got 2 x 3590 SCSI in L1
-S3 has got 2 x 3590 SAN in L2, the AIX system can see 2 SAN drives from L1
-S3 has got 2 x 3590 SAN in L2, the AIX system can see 2 SAN drives from L1
too
too
-S4 has got 3 x 3590 SCSI in L2
All SCSI drives are dedicated to a server.
All SCSI drives are dedicated to a server.

The offsiting is done by server-to-server (S1-S3, S2-S4) over Gbit. Each
server has got its own dedicated tape ranges.

Goal:
I would like to abolish server-to-server for offsiting on S1-S3 (keep it for
DB backup and prepare) by using the SAN drives together with one Library
Manager on each side (to get away from dedicated tape ranges). I don't think
that will work in this mixed SCSI/SAN environment as I don't see anyway of
addressing the SCSI drives? Maybe I could continue to use S2-S4 as before
and have S1/S3 as library manager for each other, would that allow S1 to use
all 4 drives while also allowing access for both to the SAN drives?

The only other alternative I see would be to use partitioning of the 3494s
with dedicated tape ranges on each side thus allowing the 3494 to assign SAN
drives on request for S1/S3 without the TSM Library Manager.

Comments/suggestions?

Regards,
Jan Norback

Atos Origin-IT (MS/DS/OSS Unix)
VA-173, PO-box 218, 5600 MD Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Groenewoudseweg 1 5621 BA Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Email: Jan.Norback AT Atosorigin DOT com
Tel: +31 (0)40-2780289
Mobile: +31 (0)6-12994492
Fax     : +31 40 2783962