ADSM-L

Re: TDP for SAP R/3 Disaster Recovery

2001-09-21 13:02:52
Subject: Re: TDP for SAP R/3 Disaster Recovery
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:51:13 -0500
We've done this many times.

What error are you getting? Is it from sapdba, brrestore, backint, or tsm?

To do the restore with sapdba you will need to have the
/oracle/<SID>/sapbackup/back<SID>.log file and the .anf or .aff file from
the backup in /oracle/<SID>/sapbackup. You can get these back with backint.

1) su - ora<sid>
2) cd /oracle/<SID>/sapbackup
3) backint -p /oracle/<SID>/dbs/init<SID>.utl -f restore
4) enter #NULL /oracle/<SID>/sapbackup/back<SID>.log
5) enter a CTRL-D

This should recover the most recent back<SID>.log. Tail the log and get the
filename for the last backup, then repeat the above procedure to recover it.

Alternatively, do a point-in-time restore for /oracle/<SID>/sapbackup --
this makes the assumption that you've run a backup of this directory after
your SAP database backup. Our online/offline backup scripts do this.

In general, our SAP recovery process runs like this (our production sid is
'prd' for some strange reason :-)

1) Recreate the volume groups and file systems (we run SAP on an AIX
platform -- and use 'restvg' to do this step -- 6 volume groups, about 850
GB of space)

2) restore archived copies of /oracle/PRD, /sapmnt/PRD, /oracle/PRD/saparch,
/usr/sap/PRD, and /usr/sap/trans. We run a weekly (Sunday afternoon) job to
archive these file systems with the same retention as our database backups.
We do two copies, to the same management classes as the off-line redo logs.

3) Do point-in-time restores for /oracle/PRD/sapbackup, /oracle/PRD/saparch,
and /usr/sap/PRD. These run *much* faster if the filesystems are archived
and restored as above.

4) Recover /oracle/PRD/sapbackup/backPRD.log and the relevant .anf/.aff file
as above (not trusting the point-in-time for these :-)

5) Recover in the same manner /oracle/PRD/saparch/archPRD.log

6) We quit using sapdba for the database restore -- run brrestore -b <the
.aff/.anf filename> -m full

7) recover the off-line redo logs while the main brrestore is running. The
log file names are available in the .anf/.aff file -- brrestore -a <first
log>-<last log>

8) after the database restore completes --
        svrmgrl
        connect internal
        set autorecovery off
        startup mount
        recover database using backup controlfile until cancel
        <press enter as prompted to confirm each redo log file - after the
last, type 'cancel'>
        alter database open resetlogs
        shutdown
        startup

9) this is a real good time to do an off-line backup :-)

Hope this helps -

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc