ADSM-L

Re: cannot cancel a session

2001-09-17 07:00:48
Subject: Re: cannot cancel a session
From: "Hamilton, Dustin" <dustin.hamilton AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 07:01:17 -0400
I actually opened a PMR on this same problem (PMR#45713,519) and they told
me that (this is almost a direct quote) "...that is the way it works."  In
asking, of course, they wouldnt put any of that in writing, but here is some
text cut out from the PMR itself...

Action Taken:Explained that Select statements are database intensive
and use up a lot of resources. Depending on complexity of the query it
quite possible for the server to hang. If cancel session doesn't work
then recycling Tsm is the only way out.
Customer wants something in writing confirming this. Directed to the
Admin Guide: Monitoring TSM server subsection entilted Using Sql to
Query the TSM DB, issuing select commands where it states that complicat
ed queries can interfere with normal server operations.

The problem I was having is that a select that worked on one system would
hang on another.  According to the Admin Guide, it is perfect acceptable to
cancel that session with another administrator session; however from what I
have seen I wouldnt recommend it - unless you have the time to cycle your
TSM_server process.

-Dustin
=====
  Dustin Hamilton;  EDS Auburn Hills SMC;  Enterprise Backup and Restore
   Phone: 248/276.5717   Pager: 248/316.5089
    Schedule and more info:  http://205.239.25.218/
     Backup Client Software:  ftp://205.239.25.218/
=====
   eMail: dustin.hamilton AT eds DOT com
    Text-Pager:  2488277399.6730 AT pagenet DOT net
=====