ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Exchange Questions

2001-09-13 17:00:34
Subject: Re: TDP for Exchange Questions
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 16:33:56 -0400
Kyle,

I will answer these questions based on TDP for Exchange 2.2.

> We are testing TDP for Exchange.  From reading the redbook I see only TDP
> Buffers and TDP Buffsize as options that can be set to tune the
performance.
> Further, when setting these using the GUI it appears no entry is made to
the
> dsm.opt file in the TDP folder.  Also, I didn't see a change in the
> registry.

These settings make changes to the TDPEXC.CFG file
not the DSM.OPT file.
TDPEXC.CFG is for "TDP settings."
DSM.OPT is for "TSM API settings".

> Questions?
> 1) Are these the only things I can set to tweak the performance?

In the TDPEXC.CFG file, BUFFERS and BUFFERSIZE are the only two.
You can also change the options in the DSM.OPT file with
regards to TCPIP, for example:
   TCPWindowsize
   TCPBuffSize

> 2) When they are set are the set for scheduled backups as well?  I am of
> course assuming yes but wonder just slightly because I can't find where
they
> are being set?

Yes.  They are sent for all future runs of TDP for Exchange.

> 3) Is there a way to get multiple backup and restore streams with the TDP
> for Exchange?

With Exchange 2000, you can back up storage groups simultaneously.
Exchange Exchange 5.5, you can back up the IS and the DIR
simultaneously, but that doesn't buy you very much, since the
DIR is typically small.

> 4) Any other pointers?

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

"It's a beautiful day.  Don't let it get away."  -- Bono