ADSM-L

Recovery log filling

2001-09-13 16:38:13
Subject: Recovery log filling
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:42:02 -0400
We have a Windows NT system with a large SQL Server database. We use
TDP for Microsoft SQL Server 1.1 to run a full backup once a week, with
no backups on other days. These backups start on Wednesday evenings
and run into Thursday morning. Over the last couple of years the size
of the backups has grown from about 10 gigabytes to about 13 gigabytes.
Most of the data appears to the TSM server as a single enormous file.
This worked consistenly until a few weeks ago, when we started seeing
the recovery log fill up early Thursday mornings. This happened twice
in three weeks with a 252 megabyte recovery log. After the second
failure we enlarged the recovery log to 540 megabytes, in the hope
that more than doubling the size would be enough to cope with a 30%
increase in the size of the database backup. The recovery log filled
up again this morning. Is there any way to figure out how much bigger
the recovery log needs to be?