ADSM-L

Re: OS/390 TSM usage of disk volumes

2001-09-13 11:59:21
Subject: Re: OS/390 TSM usage of disk volumes
From: Christo Heuër <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:07:52 +0200
Hi Zoltan,

As Rene has already mentioned - this is done to maximize parallism - so
you have your performance maxed - if it did not work this way you would
have a single stream of data being pulled off a volume - also causing a
bottleneck on this particular HDA.
It is as easy as updating the volume to readonly and then moving data
from them - pretty easy.

Regards
Christo Heuer

> I have a question about how the OS/390 version of TSM utilizes disk
> storage pools and why and possible future impact.
>
> Currently, my disk "landing zone" storage pool has 38-individual DASD
> volumes, for a total of 90G+.  I noticed that when I do a Q VOL STG=, that
> *EVERY* "volume" (i.e. data set) has something in it, rather than fill up
> one before going to another (this is a royal pain when trying to
> delete/add volumes, but that is a different story.....).  So, when doing
> migration from this pool to tape, it has to perform I/O's to 38 disk
> volumes as well as the tapes.
>
> I am getting ready to more than double this pool.  Does this mean that TSM
> will scatter data across all 80+ volumes ?
>
> This seems like a lot of unnecessary overhead.
>
> Any thoughts on this ?
> ===========================
> Zoltan Forray
> Virginia Commonwealth University
> University Computing Center
> e-mail: zforray AT vcu DOT edu
> voice: 804-828-4807

"The information contained in this communication is confidential and
may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to
receive it.  If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action
in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  Absa is neither liable for the proper, complete
transmission of the information contained in this communication, any
delay in its receipt or that the mail is virus-free."