ADSM-L

Re: What if?....

2001-09-12 19:09:47
Subject: Re: What if?....
From: "Walker, Lesley R" <lesley.walker AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:11:03 +1200
Sam Schrage asks:
> What is the feasibility of making a copy of my offsite tapes
> via the AIX command
> 'tcopy', or other utility, rather than using TSM--another
> storage pool, doing
> the backup, etc.--and take this 'off-site' set of tapes to a
> diaster recovery
> test?
>
> Any  suggestions?

Are you using barcode labelling?  If so you would presumably need duplicate
barcodes.

You would need to be very careful about tracking the copies and the
originals, otherwise you could be letting yourself in for some "interesting"
and "fun" media management issues.

Also, you would want to make sure you overwrite the TSM labels on the extra
copies afterwards.

Apart from those things, I can't see why it wouldn't work.  As long as the
utility copies the whole tape including the TSM label.

--
Lesley Walker
Lesley Walker