ADSM-L

Backing up large amounts of data on Windows NT

2001-09-10 13:50:52
Subject: Backing up large amounts of data on Windows NT
From: ProtoTipo srl <protonews AT SACMI DOT IT>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 18:51:01 +0200
Hi all,

I have a 200 GB SAP R/3 - Oracle database on a Windows NT box. Every night
I run an online backup using TDP for R/3 and everything goes ok.
Once a week I run a script that stops the database and performs a whole
backup of the NT box at the file-system level. After having backed up about
180 GB of files, the backup terminates with the error:

ANS1028S Internal program error. Please see your service representative.

I found an article on Microsoft Knowledge Base, Q192409, that says:

Open Files Can Cause Kernel to Report INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCE: "If you have
approximately 180 GB of open files that are not being closed continuously
or are opened and closed rapidly in a looping condition, you may be
experiencing this problem"

Also if I try to copy 180 GB of files disk-to-disk from a NT box to another
one, I got that error.

Again, from Microsoft Knowledge base:
Open the Task Manager, select Performance window and have a look to the
"Paged" value of the kernel memory on the bottom-right. This value increase
(1KB for every MB of file opened) without decrease. Once reached the value
of 190MB the error occurs.

At the moment, the only way to work around the problem seems to be a reboot
of the machine (but it's not advisable during scheduled nightly or weekend
backups!)

I noticed also that when I start the database again, the paged memory pool
is freed...but I can't continue the backup after that, otherwise the
database won't be consistent.

I opened a PMR, but Tivoli Support told me they can't reproduce the
problem, because they don't have a NT box with that much space. They're
looking for a suitable environment.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance,
               Stefano Massi