ADSM-L

Re: File creation/modification query

2001-09-05 07:30:02
Subject: Re: File creation/modification query
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 07:30:56 -0400
>Does anyone know how to query the TSM server for the creation and
>modification dates/times of particular files to comparing with the local
>file system? I can't find any relevant entries in the SQL book, and no admin
>commands can show me this data.

Matthew - From my notes:

File attributes                         File attributes are not available at
                                        the server via SQL Select queries: the
                                        attribute information is only available
                                        via the same kind of client you used to
                                        back up the file. That is, if you used
                                        the Windows client to back up a file,
                                        only the Windows client can get the file
                                        attributes.
                                        While the server does store the
                                        attributes given to it by the client,
                                        it does not kow how to interpret them,
                                        nor is there any way to get them in
                                        their "raw" (uninterpreted) format.
                                        File attributes are reported by the
                                        Backup/Archive client GUI (but not the
                                        CLI dsmc Query Backup).

Note also that some operating systems (Unix) don't record file creation time.

   Richard Sims, BU