ADSM-L

Unable to fix tape volume problem on OS/390 server

2001-09-04 11:16:16
Subject: Unable to fix tape volume problem on OS/390 server
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:22:03 -0400
This message is primarily for TIVOLI TSM support but all suggestions are
welcome.

This problem started a long, time ago, when we were running ADSM 3.1.2.50.
 IBM/TIVOLI at that time, could not offer any real suggestions on how to
fix it. However, since we were going to upgrade to TSM 3.7 (and now at
4.1.3), they said the problem would likely be fixed (or at least fixable)
with the later TSM.

I have seen some references to a similar issue, on ADSM.ORG but I don't
recall a fix that I haven't already tried and failed (of course I could
just be losing my mind, which is possible.....).

The basic problem is an empty tape volume that refuses to go-away, due to
"still has SEGMENT references".  Here is a snapshot of a recent attempt to
AUDIT the volume to fix the problem (previous trouble call said to use
AUDIT):

ANR5965I Console command:  AUDIT VOLUME 040042 FIX=YES
ANR2017I Administrator SERVER_CONSOLE issued command: AUDIT VOLUME 040042
FIX=YES
ANR2425E AUDIT VOLUME: Unable to access volume 040042 - access mode is set
"offsite".
TSM:ADSM>
ANR5965I Console command:  UPDATE VOL 040042 ACCESS=READW
ANR2017I Administrator SERVER_CONSOLE issued command: UPDATE VOLUME 040042
ACCESS=READW
ANR9999D ASVOL(2847): Volume 040042 cannot be deleted to SCRATCH - it
still has
SEGMENT references.
ANR9999D ASVOL(1726): Unknown result code (267) while deleting a volume.
ANR2032E UPDATE VOLUME: Command failed - internal server error detected.
TSM:ADSM>

Basically, the tape is marked as OFFSITE. So, I cant AUDIT because it is
offsite. Cant mark it as READW due to the problem, so AUDIT cant fix it,
and so on....

Zoltan Forray
Virginia Commonwealth University
University Computing Center