ADSM-L

Re: Slow Restores on Netware

2001-09-02 22:41:24
Subject: Re: Slow Restores on Netware
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 21:42:31 -0500
On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:49:52 -0500, you wrote:
>Is it me or is a restore of Netware data slow?  I get at best 5.6g per
>hour off of a 21g per hour drive.  TSM backs it up fast  but takes way
>to long to restore.  Does anyone else have this problem and if so what
>do you do?

Rather than just shrugging and saying "Netware....", I'd like to offer
more useful dialog.

Not knowing what your network is like, I'd say that a 5GB+/hour
restore on Netware is pretty damn good, considering that Netware, like
Windows, is comprised of a zillion small files and a rather convoluted
directory structure. It takes a while for those Intel-dependent OSs a
while to rebuild file structures.