ADSM-L

Re: Floating Client License Period

2001-08-31 18:44:36
Subject: Re: Floating Client License Period
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:45:28 -0400
>I have a customer who has plans to backup thousands of small Linux
>boxes.  These boxes will be backed up incrementally until the 100GB
>partition on each is full and then they will perform a full backup.  At
>that time, the client will be decommissioned and not back up any longer.
>Cost is a major issue for this customer.  They cannot afford to buy 1
>client license for each of these tiny hosts.

Joshua - If you *really* had to, you could possibly get by with one
         client license by using -nodename=ThatSingularNodename
and remounting subject file systems read-only on mount points like
"/ActualNodeName.TrueFilesystemName", which is to say that you would
end up with mucho filespaces under one client, but identifiable as to
the client and file system they actually came from.  Not that anyone
would *want* to warp space like this.

I also presume that the partition of interest is not a system partition,
which would be pointlessly redundant to back up from multiple systems,
except for unique configuration files.

  Richard Sims, BU

    "Think different."   - Apple