ADSM-L

Re: NT Journal Backups

2001-08-31 09:47:00
Subject: Re: NT Journal Backups
From: Andrew Raibeck <araibeck AT US.TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 06:47:43 -0700
In a word: portability.

A design centered around NTFS 5's journal file system would be pretty
limiting in that it isn't portable to other platforms. Note that the TSM
journal-based backup feature is available not only for Windows 2000, but
also for NT 4.0 -- something we could not do if we based our
implementation on the Windows 2000 NTFS 5 support. Not only that, but a
platform independent design makes it easier to port to non-Windows
platforms, should we choose to do so in the future.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Tivoli Systems
Internet e-mail: araibeck AT us.ibm DOT com

The command line is your friend.

Andrew Webster <andrew.webster AT DB DOT COM>
08/31/2001 00:47