ADSM-L

Re: discarding data on tapes

2001-08-30 16:25:23
Subject: Re: discarding data on tapes
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:26:46 -0400
>Is there a faster process to remove all the data from a tape when it belongs
>to the library?. I have archive tapes that come back to us after a year
>retention (monthly). I have to perform a del vol discard=yes on each of
>them.

Joe - What you're doing is what there is, from the server side.
      Each db entry has to be deleted individually.
You could also have the originating client delete unneeded Archive files
over time to reduce the number to be deleted after year.

>I also noticed that if I start more then 2 delete vols at TSM is very slow
>in performing.

Deletion is a database-intensive operation, so can be slow.  Try not to do more
than one mass deletion (be it a volume deletion or filespace deletion) at a
time, as multiple processes can collide on database deadlocks.

  Richard Sims, BU