ADSM-L

Re: Win 2K anomolies

2001-08-29 13:24:10
Subject: Re: Win 2K anomolies
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:25:38 -0500
On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:36:48 -0400, it was written:
>   One of our NT servers is running Windows 2000 and TSM 4.2.  It is scheduled
> to run and incremental backup nightly, and every night reports "failed".
> After looking into it as much as we can, we've determined the following:
> - The "failed" is a result of 4 unsuccessful attempts to backup opened files.
>  The 7 opened files are related to the logged on user, and the system
> registry.  When we look at other servers in our system running Windows NT 4.0
> with TSM 4.1.1, these files are backed up into an c:\ADSM.SYS folder.  This
> folder does not exist in the Windows 2000 server.  Furthermore, when we run
> the gui for TSM 4.2 on the Win 2K server, there's nothing in the System
> Objects.  I believe that should contain the registry data.
>   We're in the process of upgrading approximately 50 servers from Windows NT
> to Windows 2000.  Neither excluding these files, nor viewing 50 log files to
> verify successful backups are desirable

A careful look at the manuals will help here. The open files that are
being reported (mostly c:\winnt\system32\config\*) are the files in
which the registry is contained. The client manuals will show that you
need to exclude, among other things, *:\winnt\system32\config\*. When
the system objects are backed up, the contained in
\winnt\system32\config is backed up. Please read the client manual and
follow its directions.

When you back up via the GUI, you must explicitly select the system
objects to be backed up; otherwise, they are not.

As to why you're not seeing the c:\adsm.sys directory, I couldn't say.
That directory should show up when a successful backup of the system
objects is completed.