ADSM-L

Question about compression

2001-08-28 11:59:41
Subject: Question about compression
From: Jeff Keen <JKeen AT CI.FLINT.MI DOT US>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 12:01:00 -0400
We have 2 3580 drives with the 3583 changer. The devclass for these drives
shows them being of format=ultriumc, which I assume means compressed. I have
compression turned on at the clients. Are my drives also compressing, or is
there more to setting up drive compression than formatting with the ultriumc
option? When my tapes are first checked in they show estimated capacity of
about 200GB, once they are used and "full" they show an estimated capacity of
about 100GB.

Also, is there a "best" way to compress, or does it differ depending on disk
space, processor, backup window, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff