ADSM-L

Re: 3590 Tape Drive Errors

2001-08-28 10:46:16
Subject: Re: 3590 Tape Drive Errors
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:48:57 +0100
Hi there

Well, we had many problems with load / unload errors for out 3590 tape
drives when they were installed (also in a 3494 library). The situation
went on for months with IBM coming out and replacing just about every part
of the drives. Eventually, they realised that each drive needed some sort
of special locking spring that holds the tapes firm for the picker-arm to
get/put tapes. These springs are not necessary in stand alone drives. It
was a simple fix and we have had no problems since.

This may have nothing to do with your problem at all, but it's working
asking IBM about.

Thanks

Farren

Bruce Kamp <bkamp AT MHS-NET DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 28/08/2001 15:32:55