ADSM-L

Re: HELP! 2nd try - TDP for Lotus Domino

2001-08-27 13:25:10
Subject: Re: HELP! 2nd try - TDP for Lotus Domino
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:18:54 -0400
George,

Take a look at the redbook for this.
It is called "Backing Up Lotus Domino R5 Using
Tivoli Storage Management".
The publication number is: SG24-5247.
You can find it at: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/
(Search for "Domino".)

You mentioned "TDP for Informix"...but I assume you
meant to say "TDP for Domino".  All of the settings
you refer to are all up to you and can be set to
save data based on the number of versions or
length of time to keep versions or both.
TDP for Domino utilizes the automated policy
management that TSM provides.

Some customers run full backups two or three times
a week and back up just the changes (transaction log
backups) once or twice a day. But, this depends
so much on the amount of data that flows
through your Domino server... not necessarily
on the number of users.

I hope this helps a little... maybe some others
that have fully implemented this in production
can help you out with their real-time strategies.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

"It's a beautiful day.  Don't let it get away."  -- Bono

                    George Lesho
                    <[email protected]       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    OM>                  cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     HELP! 2nd try - TDP for
Lotus Domino
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
                    IST.EDU>

                    08/27/2001
                    11:48 AM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

I asked this on Friday but didn't see any responses... Our location is
installing a Lotus Domino server which is on a Windows 2000 box. I suspect
there will be about 1200 user accounts. I would like to have periodic
backups; probably about once a month to retain for a year for legal
purposes plus I would like to have restore capability for about 2 weeks on
users Lotus Notes enviroment. I have never dealt with Lotus Domino or Notes
before. If I want to back this up using TDP for Lotus Domino, what would my
Versions of Data Exists, Versions of Data Deleted, Retain Extra Version and
Retain only Version be for the monthly backups since I don't think the TDP
for Informix product supports archiving which would be simpler? What would
these same properties be for a two week retention. How often will I need to
back this server up for the two week backups if archivelogging is turned
on. How big a logging space needs to be set up for 1200 users? Any tips
would be very much appreciated.

George Lesho
AFC Enterprises
Storage/System Admin