ADSM-L

how to get rid of OLD ACTIVE file backups

2001-08-22 15:27:36
Subject: how to get rid of OLD ACTIVE file backups
From: "MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:29:14 -0400
Hello all,
        I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to get rid of OLD
backups that were put in by BMC BACKTRACKS.  We are running TSM 4.1.3 on
OS390.  I am trying to understand and cleanup a bunch of old backups that
should not exist and are holding up the scratching of tapes.  I know I can
start a process to consolidate all these tapes that seem to have less than
5% used.  I know I can honestly say that everything on these tapes are not
needed and DISCARD the data and scratch the tape.  I have already deleted
all the filespaces that have not been backed up for more than 3 months.  But
I still have different files that are still listed as ACTIVE from months
ago.  The ones that come from the TDPs have a process that is run on the
client to clean them out.  The one for BACKTRACK used for Sybase works only
some times.
 So I have active backups for a client that no longer has the data.  It
seems that there is a hole in that software.  Is there a way to delete a
backup file and not the whole filespace?   I have this situation in a couple
of instances.  The BACKTRACK one is the most frequent though.
Matt