ADSM-L

Re: TSM Bare Restore AIX Different Arch

2001-08-22 12:46:54
Subject: Re: TSM Bare Restore AIX Different Arch
From: "Frank Tsao, email is tsaof AT sce DOT com" <Frank.Tsao AT SCE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:33:27 -0700
We had used SYSBACK to perform three functions in addition to TSM:

Copy rootvg to a SYSBACK server on a monthly basis. Total of 200+ systems.
Cut a tape remotely for all systems on a semiannual basis.
Create a network boot option and refreshed all the bootp servers and boot
client roles on a quarterly basis.

You can see SYSBACK features in the following URL:

http://sysback.services.ibm.com/sysback.nsf/en/features

Frank Tsao
Frank.Tsao AT sce DOT com
PAX 25803, 626-302-5803
FAX 626-302-7131

                    "Kauffman,
                    Tom"                 To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <KauffmanT@NI        cc:
                    BCO.COM>             Subject:     Re: TSM Bare Restore AIX
Different Arch
                    Sent by:
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    08/22/2001
                    08:50 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Dave, we use much the same approach as your current one, with similar
problems on the mksysb. We try to run a mksysb at least monthly, or after
maintenance is applied to AIX.

The difference is that our mksysb tapes go off-site after we cut them.

Is there any reason you can't do this?

If you really can't off-site the mksysb tapes, I'd seriously look at
setting
up one system as a network install master with just AIX and TSM on it. Back
when we had the SP frames this was our Control Workstation. It had one
current mksysb image file, for the TSM server.

Get this box up, network install the TSM server, use TSM to restore the
filesystem of current (weekly, in our case) mksysb images for the other
systems, and network install them.

You still have the problem of getting an off-site non-tsm backup of this
system though -- unless your D/R window is long enough to allow building
the
TSM server with a 'vanilla' AIX image, followed by restoring the filesystem
of images, followed by re-booting the TSM server again from the archived
image.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc