ADSM-L

TSM mirroring again

2001-08-21 10:16:35
Subject: TSM mirroring again
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:12:46 +0100
I know this must be a pretty boring subject, but anyone been there ?
This can't be the first time anyone has gone down this road.
Would appreciate your experience

John Naylor
08/16/2001 04:35 PM

Sent by:  John Naylor

To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:
Subject:  TSM mirroring

Hi all Tsmers,

I am looking to introduce database/recovery log mirroring into into our OS390
TSM 3.7.20
environment to cater for cross site disaster recovery.
The thinking is to use our cross site dasd capability to have the primary
database and recovery log volumes written at site1 and the mirror copies written
at site2 or vice versa.
Then if we lost site1 we would start a new instance of TSM on site2
I will be testing this scenario before going into a live environment, but from
anyone who
has already been there in a real disaster or disaster test, I have a few
questions.

1) When you come up on site2, does TSM cope ok with the misiing database/log
volumes

2) Are there any gotchas I need to be aware of.

3) Any recommendations for the flavour of mirroring to go with. Are the defaults
ok?

4) Does mirroring have any significant impact on performance, especially if you
go with
the non default options

Tia,
John

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
Energy plc.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission.

Scottish Hydro-Electric and Southern Electric are trading names of
Scottish and Southern Energy Group.