ADSM-L

Re: Log Archiving on Tivoli

2001-08-17 10:25:37
Subject: Re: Log Archiving on Tivoli
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:27:24 -0400
> We have an issue with a client here which doesn't appear to be archiving
> logs correctly.  The logs are being archived to our server ok but on the
> client we have at least 5 days worth of logs still and the disk is
filling
> up!  i would normally expect only one days worth of files to be left on
> the client.   Is there a command or setting which sets this
> We have no threshold set up on the archive command.

Marc,

Log files that have been backed up are not necessarily deleted.
They may simply be renamed and reused when necessary.

A transaction log will not be "deleted" or "reused" until
it is successfully backed up.  After it is successfully
backed up, it will be marked as "reusable" and it will
sit around on disk until the Domino server needs
another log.  When the Domino server does need another log,
it will grab one from the "resuablable" list, rename it
(so it doesn't have to reformat a 64M file) to the
next one in sequence and start using it.

Now, having said that, there is a known problem in
the Domino server where, in some cases, there are
some logs that do not get cleaned up...
In one case this is caused when you have more than
70 logs to archive at once and the other case it
is when your Domino server is halted prior to
an internal checkpoint (which is not exposed to the user.)

These particular issues are corrected with Domino 5.08.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

"It's a beautiful day.  Don't let it get away."  -- Bono