ADSM-L

retain extra vs retain only

2001-08-17 09:24:17
Subject: retain extra vs retain only
From: Gisbert Schneider <gisbert.schneider AT SK-KOELN DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:37:05 +0100
hello to all,

consider this: retain extra is set to 90 days, retain only is set to 30
days. I´m doing an daily incremental backup, after this I delete the file
xxx from workstations disk. How long the tsm server is keeping the file xxx
? 30 or 90 days ?

I defined the copy group like this:
 Versions Data Exists       3
Versions Data Deleted    3
Retain Extra Versions       90
Retain Only Version          30
Copy Mode                          MODIFIED
Copy Serialization             SHRDYNAMIC
Copy Frequency                0

The documentatios says:

RETExtra
     Specifies the number of days to retain a backup version after that
version becomes inactive. A version of a file
     becomes inactive when the client stores a more recent backup version,
or when the client deletes the file from the
     workstation and then runs a full incremental backup.

RETOnly
     Specifies the number of days to retain the last backup version of a
file that has been deleted from the client file
     system.

Thank you !

   Da E-Mails leicht unter fremdem Namen erstellt oder manipuliert werden
   koennen, muessen wir zu Ihrem und unserem Schutz die rechtliche
   Verbindlichkeit der vorstehenden Erklaerungen ausschliessen. Die fuer
   die Stadtsparkasse Koeln geltenden Regeln ueber die Verbindlichkeit von
   rechtsgeschaeftlichen Erklaerungen mit verpflichtendem Inhalt bleiben
   unberuehrt.