ADSM-L

Re: Off Topic 3494 question.

2001-08-14 07:54:37
Subject: Re: Off Topic 3494 question.
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 07:55:24 -0400
>I have an AS400 connected to two drives in the 3494 which I theoretically
>control. I use the other two drives for TSM on an RS6000.  This AS400 is not
>configured to communicate with the library and they are having trouble doing so
>- for the last 9 months.  They back up by opening the library and inserting
>tapes directly into the drives.

Good grief!  In the absence of a 3494 device driver for AS/400, I would simply
set up a mount server agent for them on your AIX system, which would perform
mounts using either the 'mtlib' command or directly via ioctl() C functions,
with filtration to assure that they don't conflict with your two drives (or
tapes), and don't try to mount over an already-busy drive of theirs.  I'm not
familiar with AS/400 facilities: maybe they could use rsh to send their mount
requests to your AIX-based agent - or at very worst case, email requests (yes,
I've had to work with even that type).  Dismounts are strictly drive-oriented
events, so you would not have to be involved in that phase.  Ejections from the
library could also be handled by your agent.

Email me directly, Steve, if you would like to hash this over more.

   Richard Sims, BU       rbs AT bu DOT edu