ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Exchange v2.2

2001-08-11 07:43:30
Subject: Re: TDP for Exchange v2.2
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:02:40 -0500
>>2.  Two of my Exchange servers will be backup over our WAN.  With version
>>1.1 I am having occasional problems with the back up eating up all my
>>available bandwidth.
>
>Well, that's a network administration and technology choice issue.
>The ATM networking method provides for usage apportionment, and of
>course there is SAN, to keep bulk data transfer off "interactive"
>networks.  Network utilization is something definitely outside the
>bounds of TSM, as is the case with any application: they simply fill
>network buffers as the space is made available to them.

A suggestion for a workaround:

Put a managed TSM server in the same LAN as your Exchange boxes. Give
the new TSM server enough diskpool to back up the information store
and database for the Exchange servers without the immediate use of a
tape pool spillover.

Set an administrative scheduled event to flush the diskpool to the
library attached to your local TSM server for a time which will have
less business impact (i.e., 0130 local time).