ADSM-L

Re: New M80

2001-08-08 12:21:55
Subject: Re: New M80
From: Eliza Lau <lau AT VTCAT.CC.VT DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 12:22:07 -0400
Geoff,

We did it 2 weeks ago.  We migrated from a J30 to a new M80 and also added
a new frame to the 3494.  Things did not go well.  We went from TSM 4.1.2 to
TSM 4.1.3 on the M80.  I backed up the db to a file and ftp'ed it to the M80.
Shut down the old server, installed TSM on the new server, recabled the 4
SCSI tape drives in the 3494 to the M80.  Did a dsmserv restore db, defined
new storage pools and brought TSM up.  All seemed to be well and TSM saw
the 4 scsi tape drives.
However, during testing backup/restore from a client, a tape was requested
and mounted, but the client didn't see it.  It just sat there waiting for
the tape even though the tape WAS mounted in one of the drives.
Called the support center and was told to delete the library, redefine it,
and recheckin all 500+ tapes.  The checkin ran for 10 hours.
Keep a printout of your private and scratch tapes, libvol, and vol.
I am glad I had one to check things out afterwards.

Adding the new 3494 frame with 2 new fibre tape drives didn't go well either.
TSM couldn't see the 2 new drives.
It took us 4 days to call all the supports we could get hold of to get the
problem fixed.  TSM support told us it was a hardware problem, and the IBM CEs
told us it was a TSM problem.  After 4 days of finger pointing, the CEs had
to admit it was their problem.  The 2 new fibre tape drives came from the
factory with the identical device address.  They didn't know that they had to
change them or what to change them to and neither did anyone at IBM hardware
support.  The CEs made a guess and changed them to match the location address
of the drives.  That fixed the problem, and TSM can now see the 2 new drives.
We are scheduled to upgrade the 4 old SCSI tape drives to fibre.  I am keeping
my fingers crossed and hope that the IBM CEs know what they are doing this
time.

Eliza Lau
Virginia Tech Computing Center
1700 Pratt Drive