ADSM-L

password caches on shared disk?

2001-08-02 16:57:26
Subject: password caches on shared disk?
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:58:11 -0400
We've got some shared disk (GPFS, on a SP) which we are trying to back up in
such a way that any of the sharing machines can perform the backup.

Most pieces of this appear to be working well, but the cached password
(passwordaccess generate) does not.

Here's what I've done:

All clients use identical copies of a dsm.sys that includes a stanza like:

server GPFS
       nodename gpfs_node
       commethod...
       [....]
       passwordaccess generate
       passworddir        /shared/disk/directory/

And then I type

dsmc q sched -se=GPFS

and everything works.  So long as I stay on the same machine.  If I move to
another machine, then I am re-prompted for a password.

What I think is happening is that the passwordaccess generate transaction is
NOT really a password for a _node_.  It is, instead, a sort of _host_
authenticator, and thus is calculated (or whatever) differently on different
hardware.

Can anyone else shed some light on this?  Am I just missing a trick somehwere?
Has anyone ever set up a password cache file that is visible to multiple
boxes?

Allen S. Rout