ADSM-L

Re: Backup Strategy

2001-08-01 11:48:53
Subject: Re: Backup Strategy
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 11:49:24 -0400
From what you wrote, it sounds like you are waiting till one point in
the day to do steps 1 and 2 all at once.  I do them during the day.

I have about 120 clients with 250 - 300 GB a day, mostly backed up
during a 12 hour period.  I have a AIX cron job that runs every 30
minutes and starts 2 processes to do "backup diskpool to copypool".
It checks to see if one of these processes is still running from last
half hour and doesn't start another one if that's the case.

Then at the end of day cycle I start 2 processes to "backup tapepool
to copypool" to catch everything that migration scooped up first.  The last
process takes maybe 1 to 2 ½ hours depending on day and amount of
data.  A cron job starts at 6:01am and keeps checking to see that all
the above are finished and then it starts the Backup DB which takes
about 30 minutes.

Have TSM server 3.7.4.0 on AIX 4.3.3. with IBM 3575 library.  13.5 GB
DB that's 67% utilized.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> jrmartin AT KNS DOT COM 08/01/01 11:15AM >>>
Hello,

        Currently our backup strategy for the TSM Servers is as follows on a
daily basis.

1. Backup 'diskpool' to 'copypool'
2. Backup 'tapepool' to 'copypool'
3. Full back up of DB

        From what I understand this is the most bullet proof method.
However we are at edge of our tape libraries capacity and the 3 steps above
are taking about 4 1/2 hours to complete each day.

        Is anyone using a strategy that would reduce both the amount of time
and possibly the number of volumes needed for these administrative tasks.

Thanks,

Jon Martin

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 08/01/01 11:54:16
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.