ADSM-L

Re: How to find out what data is on tape

2001-08-01 10:44:18
Subject: Re: How to find out what data is on tape
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:43:07 -0400
You probably had reclamations running that freed up these tapes.
They would be in a DRM state of vaultr unless someone had moved
them past that.  If they are truly scratch, there is no way to see what
they were.  If you do both a "q vol" and a "q drm" for each of
these tapes and get nothing, then there are scratch.

It'a always a good idea to do an inventory comparison between
what *Sm says is in vault and what offsite vendor says.  Tapes can
get misplaced for various reasons.  For all the automation of *SM,
this part (offsite excahnge) involves many manual steps.

I do an inventory about every two months and only find about 1 tape
out of place.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> rzbadsm AT YAHOO DOT COM 08/01/01 10:23AM >>>
Yesterday I found 95 tapes in our offsite-location,
which don't belong to any storage-pools.

Normally the only two ways that a tape gets to the
offsite-location is, that it's a copy-storage pool
from our tape-pool, or it's a dbbackup-tape.

In our DRM-Environment there is a setting, which takes
care about the dbbackup tapes, so that they will stay
7 days in the offsite location before the ADSM-Server
wants them to be put back into the system.

Is there a possibility to find out what content is on
this tapes, which don't belong to any storage pools?
Further problem is that our volume-history and
activity-log only covers 2 weeks so in my opinion
there is no easy way to check for tapes to be reused
or for tapes with storage data.

Best regards
Martin Radel

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 08/01/01 10:47:58
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.