ADSM-L

Re: Job Idle for more than 15 min

2001-07-31 07:34:07
Subject: Re: Job Idle for more than 15 min
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 07:34:53 -0400
>When client fires a incremental job , usally it attempts a backup in a
>minute (Idletime).  This is what happening since january. But, today i have
>problem, its in idle state for more than the time which i have set in
>server options (15min) and backup failed with error message in actlog. Can
>anyone help me , why is it happening all of a sudden? also advise me with
>possible solution.  I dont want to increase the idletimeout for more than
>15min.

Sree - The way a client system behaves can certainly change over time.
       File systems are more populated, the disk becomes more fragmented,
more things are run on the client system, etc.  Consider also that if a
file system has not been updated much, the next Incremental Backup will
spend a lot of time looking for something to back up and thus may not
send anything to the server in a long time during the backup session.
I have my IDLETimeout set to 60 minutes for that reason.

If a client suddenly starts behaving very differently, get together with
its owner/administrator and see what's going on.  It could be a sign of
hardware or software problems...which could include breakins.

  Richard Sims, BU