ADSM-L

Re: ADSM 4.1.2 ANR9999D error

2001-07-20 18:54:55
Subject: Re: ADSM 4.1.2 ANR9999D error
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 18:55:39 -0400
>Right now we're formatting new database files on new DASD.
>Any other tips or hints out there?

Mais oui...

>ANR0252E Error writing logical page 20424758 (physical page 290102) to database
>ANR0252E volume SYS2.ADSME.DBV47.
>
>ANR9999D ERROR WRITING TO DATABASE LOGICAL VOLUME.
>
>.DSM server terminating operation - internal error BUF087 detected.

The classic cause of this kind of problem when formatting new volumes
is a too-small Unix Filesize resource limit.
Whenever you perform any stand-alone TSM function, be it running
dsmfmt or starting dsmserv, condition yourself to first think
whether the environmental parameters under which the process starts
are sufficient to allow it to carry out all it will need to do.

And it sure would be nice if the software performed the trivial
resource limit tests which would allow it to avoid such errors,
and emit straightforward, descriptive error messages when the
problems occur, based upon errno and other conditions.  Too
often, software is left handicapped, and blindly runs into
fatal conditions without any sense of how things got that way.
TSM is up to version 4.2.  Its error anticipation and handling
is under-evolved for its age and importance.

  Richard Sims, Boston University OIT
   Sr. systems programmer and software developer