ADSM-L

General PREEMPTION Question

2001-07-18 05:15:20
Subject: General PREEMPTION Question
From: Herfried Abel <ha7 AT DAIMLERCHRYSLER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:14:25 +0200
Hi to all,

The long story:

We are running a rather old ADSM server version : 3.1.2.20 and we will
upgrade to 4.? in august. With the version we are running now, I have
problems related to the default preemption strategy. In gernal I think it
is a good thing, but we have one special application where the Preemption
priority is "wrong". This is running an SAP Archive ( Archive of scanned
documents and generated lists ) via the CommonStore-Content Manager for R3
SW. Here - in real life - the process af bringing a document into the
Archive ( adsm operation: archive ) HAS AN HIGHER priority then viewing
those archived documents ( adsm operation: retrieve ). As the data is
stored on opticals ( permanent worms ) and never expires - it happens  that
a read-the-data process preempts a write-new-data process.
(there are a lot of stg pools - with only 1 writeable volume in it - reason
: be able to check the opticals out of the library based on an
document-type & time-based strategy ). So its not possible for me to define
more than one volume for writing within one stg pools - otherwise I would
run out of slots within the library.

The problem:

As far as I know in V 3.1.2.20 Preemption can only be disabled with
server-wide scope.

The short question:

Can in TSM V4.? preemption be defined on an TSM object with smaler scope (
mgmt class, stg pool, ....) ?

Thanks for you patience

herfried

The information contained in this transmission, which may be
confidential and proprietary, is only for the intended recipients.
Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
transmission in error, please notify me immediately by telephone
or electronic mail and confirm that you deleted this transmission
and the reply from your electronic mail system.