ADSM-L

TSM and 3590E Tapes

2001-07-10 10:42:45
Subject: TSM and 3590E Tapes
From: Louis Wiesemann <ljwies01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:42:48 -0400
We are running TSM 3.7.3 on OS/390 2.8.  We are getting ready to upgrade our
tape drives from model B's to model E's.  IBM says that the upgraded drives
will read the old tapes just fine, but will write them at the new density.  I
am unable to determine what, if anything, I need to do to configure TSM for
this change.  The deviceclasses only define "3590" with no model information.
The capacity information for the old density tapes will not be correct when it
starts writing at the new density.  Is this something that TSM will adjust
automatically or do I need to reset it somehow?

Are there any problems I'm not thinking of that might bite us with some tapes
at the old density and some at the new, once TSM starts writing tapes with the
upgraded drives?

Anything, else I should be looking at.

Thanks for any advice.

Louis J. Wiesemann