ADSM-L

Re: Question on Veritas

2001-07-09 16:18:26
Subject: Re: Question on Veritas
From: "David M. Hendrix" <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:19:02 -0600
Actually, if you search the archives of this list, you'll find discussions
on this topic.  Please try that first.

Since we are just now implementing our first Netbackup master server, we
have some experience using both (we have approx 15 production TSM
servers).  Each product has strengths and weaknesses.  TSM and Netbackup
operate using a different paradigm.  If you've used TSM, things will be
cumbersome with Netbackup.  If you've used Netbackup things will seem
strange with TSM.

Although we have a large TSM infrastructure, we felt that we could achieve
certain implementation goals if we went to a two vendor production
standard.  Our first project for Netbackup utilizes 23 LTOs in a 3584.  At
1/3 the cost and 2X+ native storage cap of 3590E tech, the LTOs were an
easy decision for large BCVs on an HP.  However, unlike the 3590s they
don't start/stop well.  In order to maximize those LTOs we went with a
solution that multiplexes.

So, for us, the "religion" discussion of paradigms, who's better, blah
blah blah didn't mean much.  We're trying to implement cost effective high
performing solutions for our backup problems.  Does it cost more to
administer multiple products?  If the product cannot conform to our
standards and procedures of production, it will not be implemented.  By
adhering to those standards, we administer 15 TSM servers with 2.5 people
(it's been as high as 21).  We expect the same with Netbackup.  We are
hiring no one.

We'll continue to use both products.

David Hendrix
FedEx Services
719 262-1164
dmhendri AT fedex DOT com

Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
07/09/01 01:32 PM