ADSM-L

SV: Sometimes network shared drives on NT servers don't backup .W HY?

2001-07-03 10:24:11
Subject: SV: Sometimes network shared drives on NT servers don't backup .W HY?
From: Thomas Anthon Kiel <TAK AT WISE-HOUSE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 07:46:03 +0200
Hi,

I have the same problems with some Windows clients. And I tried to use the
UNC and the drive letter of the shared drives in the inclexcl list to back
them up. I have had a contact to Tivoli support regarding this but I'm still
not secure when to use UNC or drive letters in the inclexcl list. Very
mystical: On a Windows ME PC I can use the drive letters for the include
statements but I have to use the UNC names for exclude
statements!!???!!???!!Another possibility is to use the "skipntsecuritycrc
yes" AND the "skipntpermission yes" option in the dsm.opt file if you have
not all the rights for the shared devices. This solves some of my problems I
have had with the shared drives. But in some cases you will still have
problems if the network connection is not 100% stable. It is allways a risk
to backup shared drives. Best solution is to install a TSM client on every
PC/Server in your network. It gives you all the necessary control about the
backup of the right drives/folders/files.

Regards, Thomas