ADSM-L

DB2 Restores to Different DB / Node Using TSM

2001-07-02 18:01:55
Subject: DB2 Restores to Different DB / Node Using TSM
From: Tom Tracy <Tom_Tracy AT NOTES.NTRS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:47:35 -0400
Hello:

I am new to the list and have a question for the other list subscribers who use
TSM to backup & restore DB2 UDB databases.  We currently are running DB2 UDB
v5.2 on AIX (soon to be upgraded to DB2 UDB v7.2) and TSM v4.1, also on AIX.  We
have had TSM installed for only 3 weeks, and are therefore not yet in
production.  Once in production, we will be using TSM to backup our databases
online & will be using the delivered DB2 user exit program to automatically
archive our transaction log files to TSM.  During my testing, I have identified
an issue (for us anyway) with restoring databases.

The vast, vast majority of the time we restore a given database, it is to a
different database, with a different name, on a different TSM client (I won't go
into the reasons for this - just suffice it to say we have to do this *a lot*).
I have been referring to a excellent new IBM RedPiece just published this May
titled "Backing up DB2 Databases Using Tivoli Storage Manager."  According to
this book, the mechanics that we would have to go through to restore a given
database to a different database on a different TSM client are pretty ugly.  The
restore itself isn't too bad (just set a couple of database level cfg
parameters), but performing the subsequent ROLLFORWARD in order to make the
restored database useable is where it gets really ugly - modifying the user
exit, recompiling it, and doing the ROLLFORWARD - then changing the user exit
back again.  And, this will only work if the target database has the exact same
name as the source database.

Is there not a better way to accomplish this?  Are there any third party tools
that would make this process less painful & more seamless?  Any and all help /
suggestions would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

Tom Tracy
Sr. Database Administrator
NTRC, LLC.
ttracy AT ntrs DOT com