ADSM-L

Re: label libv hang

2001-07-02 15:41:42
Subject: Re: label libv hang
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 15:41:08 -0400
Jeff, two thoughts....

1. Make sure there are tape drives available.  If all are occupied, the
label process will just sit there.   But this shouldn't cause queries to
hang....

2. Try "ps -ef|grep dsmadmc" at the AIX command line.  These are admin
sessions... if you see more than you know or think should be active, "kill
-9" them...  We've had this situation happen.  One of the rogue admin
sessions is a bottleneck, and removing it may free things up.
sessions is a bottleneck, and removing it may free things up.

3. (bonus) we also had a situation just the other day (in fact on 6/29!)
where TSM server got hopelessly lost.... we couldn't even get a password
prompt when starting dsmadmc.... halting and restarting TSM didn't help,
we had to reboot AIX, then it was OK.

Robin Sharpe
Berlex Laboratories

                    Jeff Bach
                    <jdbach@WAL-M
                    ART.COM>      To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                  cc:    (bcc: Robin Sharpe/WA/USR/SHG)
                    06/29/01      Subject:
                    05:35 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Help,

        I am running a 3.1.2.41 ADSM server on AIX 4.3.2.  After trying to
label a library volume with a "label libvol " command, the command hung.
Now " q pro", "q libr", and other commands hang.  Is there a solution other
that bouncing the ADSM instance? (the application)

Jeff Bach
Home Office Open Systems Engineering
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

WAL-MART CONFIDENTIAL

and intended solely for the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email
in error destroy it immediately.