ADSM-L

Re: TDP for SAP/R3 with DB2

2001-07-02 11:10:55
Subject: Re: TDP for SAP/R3 with DB2
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:04:18 -0500
I'm not familiar with DB2 but am far too familiar with backint/TDP for
SAP/R3. Backint does a two-phase backup. The first phase actually does the
database backup of all the SAPDATA files. All actions are recorded in an
/oracle/SID/sapbackup/<encoded timestamp>.anf or .aff file, and this
filename is logged in /oracle/SID/sapbackup/backSID.log.

The second phase copies both of these files, a structure file
(/oracle/SID/sapreorg/structSID.log), a reorg log file
(/oracle/SID/sapreorg/reorgSID.log), the backint parm file
(/oracle/SID/dbs/initSID.utl), the SAP non-database init file
(/oracle/SID/dbs/initSID.sap), the SAP database init file
(/oracle/SID/dbs/initSID.dba) and the Oracle init file
(/oracle/SID/dbs/initSID.ora). This phase is backing up everything you need
to know to re-create the SAP instance.

And I think this is the heart of Manoel's question -- are the equivalent DB2
files backed up with the TSM - DB2 interface?

Not that I think it is important.

Manoel, I've been through a number of successful D/R tests with full SAP
recovery, including recovery from an incremental backup and a number of
off-line redo logs. We archive the /oracle/SID and /sapmnt/SID filesystems
weekly to the same management classes as our offline redo logs. At D/R time
we rebuild the filesystems, retrieve the most recent archives, and then do a
point in time restore of them before trying the SAP restore. The whole
second phase of backint is almost unneeded. (We do use backfm to retrieve
the most recent archSID.log and matching .svd files).

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc