ADSM-L

Re: 'label libvol' hung

2001-06-29 20:02:41
Subject: Re: 'label libvol' hung
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 20:03:43 -0400
>        I am running a 3.1.2.41 ADSM server on AIX 4.3.2.  After trying to
>label a library volume with a "label libvol " command, the command hung.
>Now " q pro", "q libr", and other commands hang.  Is there a solution other
>that bouncing the ADSM instance? (the application)

Jeff - I/O conflicts and problems can cause device-related commands to hang.
       In this case I'd go have a look at the physical device, first trying
any problem-clearing to make it interact with the server again, or resetting
it if nothing else works, to try to break the stalemate.
I've also seen very ugly conflicts and hangs created where multiple
Define Drive's were done for the same physical drives, with both trying
to be Online at the same time and the admin trying to execute TSM server
commands to deal with the mess.

   Richard Sims, BU

(p.s.: Please post with Subject identifiers so that postings track well
       in the List archives.  thanks)