ADSM-L

Disaster recovery - unable to restore

2001-06-29 06:12:04
Subject: Disaster recovery - unable to restore
From: Praveen Kumar <pavikumar AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 06:12:04 -0400
Hi all,

We are having SAP 40B with Oracle 8.0.x as database. OS is solaris 7.
We installed TSM 4.1 and TDP for SAP R/3 2.7 for backup. Backup is working
without any problem. My problem is in restoring my production server backup
onto the disaster recovery server.

To restore the backup onto the disaster recovery server, first i have to
restore the summary and detailed backup logs. I am restoring these two files
using backfm utility of TDP. Then to start actual Oracle database
restoration we are using brrestore utility of SAP. While starting the
brrestore, it terminates after the selection of perticuler backup, with an
error saying "bad format in detail BRBACKUP log file, filename
/oracle/SID/sapbackup/bdfpmgin.anf". If i copy detailed backup log from
production server to DRServer, restoration starts without any problem. After
comparing backup logs restored from tapeloader and the ones from production
server, we found that the detailed backup log restored from tapeloader is
incomplete. Because backup of detailed log is happening not at the end of
the SAP backup process. After the actual datafile backup, TDP is backing up
SAP logs and profiles. During the backup of these logs and profiles, TDP
backs up detailed log first and then backs up summary log, .ora, .sap, .utl
files. So the detailed backup log doesn't contain complete backup info.

The one way to solve this problem is by backing up summary log and detailed
log using dsmc selective command after the completion of SAP backup. Is
there any other methods to get rid of this problem.

Thanks in advance
Regards

Pavikumar