ADSM-L

Re: lift blocked 3575l12 33h checkin

2001-06-28 14:18:52
Subject: Re: lift blocked 3575l12 33h checkin
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:19:24 -0400
Yes, the long ribbon cable to the picker is the one.  It may be different on
the L12 than on the L24-L32 - the Tall units though.

I would check that you have latest microcode on the library - that's Library
microcode not drive microcode.

Get a GOOD light and open library and look inside and see if there is anything
that may be blocking movement of picker, even slightly.

If this probelm is readily repeatable then I have another suggestion.  That is
to open and manually disable interlock on door (this may be different on your
L12) so library will operate with door open and with a light you can easily see
what is happening.  Then do some checkins and see if you can tell if there is
any mechanical problem with picker movement.

NOTE: Keep hands out of the library with door open as those servo's have some
muscle behind them, enough to HURT YOUR FINGERS!

Our problem was intermittant but we watched during heavy tape activity and were
able to actually see then cable get caught and when our local IBM CE called IBM
Tucson and discussed the continuing problem they detremined we needed the new
mod.  Sounds like the same one that George Lesho has.

David Longo

>>> k_willems AT TTP-INT DOT COM 06/28/01 04:14AM >>>
David,

Although your explanation is very plausible, I cant find any damage on the
cable.

When I look at the moveing picker I can't see the grayribbon obstructing the
transport mechanism.

When you say ribbon cable is getting caught, Do you mean the long gray
ribbon cable from the base of the box to the picker ?

The strange thing is that when I use AIX tapeutil everything works fine....

When I do a " checkinlibvol ....... search=bulk checkl=bar" I get a error on
the Magstar 33h liftblocked and a Sense Code in the activity log and the
picker stops all action..

When I do a " checkinlibvol ..... search=bulk checkl=yes" I get a error on
the Magstar 33h liftblocked and No sense code in the activity log and the
picker moves the volume from the I/O port to his element.

So I guess there is somthing wrong with the Barcode Reader.. I allready had
an IBM CE turn the magstar inside out and recalibrate the barcodereader..
but nothing works....

I am now analysing the Sense code ( IBM is analysing ;-) .

So I am out of ideas on this problem for now....

Maybe Can the List help me out ?

Thanx for your Reply ...

Koen.