ADSM-L

Re: Versioning Question

2001-06-22 14:56:05
Subject: Re: Versioning Question
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:56:51 -0400
Need more info on your specifics, but if I understand what you're after the
answer is probably Yes.

If you have say an NT server with MSSQL databases you can do this. The
sqlfull.cmd as supplied can be made into 2 (or more) .cmd's and each specify
which databases it is backing up and each can have a separate dsm.opt file
specifying which mgmt class it is bound to.

I believe this would be possible on say a UNIX platform and Oracle databases
with EBU or RMAN.  Not familiar with fine details of these but you can probably
specify which databases to backup.

Either of these would take some extra configuration of course and some checking
that you are getting everything right.

Just a quick analysis.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> JONESK AT CO.CHESTERFIELD.VA DOT US 06/22/01 02:30PM >>>
If I have one physical server with 2 separate databases on this one physical
server, can I have two separate versioning criteria?  i.e. Database 1 with 6
versions data exists, 3 data deleted, 60 day retain only and Database 2 with 10
versions data exists, 6 data deleted, 90 day retain ony version?  There is a
hot debate here and I would appreciate your help.

Kelli Jones
jonesk AT co.chesterfield.va DOT us
Chesterfield County, VA

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 06/22/01 14:59:28
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.