ADSM-L

Re: Which version of TSM Win32 to install - 4.1.2.12, 14, 17, 18 ??

2001-06-21 11:12:51
Subject: Re: Which version of TSM Win32 to install - 4.1.2.12, 14, 17, 18 ??
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:13:45 -0400
Oops ... you missed 19. :-)

> Which version should we use for the Win32 client?  The Tivoli support
> site once showed 4.1.2.12 / 14 / 17 and 18 ! Now it has only 4.1.2.12 !

Perhaps you are confusing the "maintenance" area of the FTP server
with the "patches" area?  The patches area has all of these; the
maintenance area has only 12.  Since a patch level doesn't normally
make it to the maintenance area, we appear to be in particularly
strange and distressing times.

> We connot upgrade every month or so, it is therefore important to all of
> us to get stabilized versions.

I agree.  I wish Tivoli had a commitment to do this.

The availability of patches that correct problems is good, but it has
been several months since a maintenance level has been produced,
and, IMHO, *years* since a workable client has been produced for my
environment.

I'll admit to not understanding "system objects" and their backup and
restore, but providing restore of only the most recent registry backup
may eventually make us rethink *SM as one of our backup/recovery
solutions.  Oh yea, being apparently unable to *backup* system
objects to the most recent and supported *SM VM server is even
worse.

Sorry for being such a stick-in-the-mud,

Wayne T. Smith                          ADSM AT Maine DOT edu
ADSM Technical Coordinator - UNET       University of Maine System